I happened on Project Streetliner, a scooter based commuter vehicle, that I thought was worth mentioning here since it is “sorta” like a Cycle Kart. It is home-built, so in that capacity, it embraces the “figure it out and have fun doing it” mentality of Cycle Karting. The front end would also look nice on a Cycle Kart, especially if someone would tackle a wishbone suspension like the Streetliner, while maintaining a vintage look. I am using an independent swing arm suspension, but utilizing a single transverse half elliptical leaf spring, so it will be in front of the body.
UPDATED I switched the video to a slightly longer video Don posted.
I have posted pictures of Don’s build progress earlier and now he has video of his first ride!
Congrats Don, it looks good. It also makes me want to finish mine.
I had the opportunity to buy a Comet TAV2 Torq-A-Verter CVT a year ago when I first started dreaming about Cycle Karts, but I didn’t and now they are impossible to find. I have frantically searching for the TAV2 unit or some alternative.
Steve suggested Max-Torque. They have 3/4″ diameter units in stock, however I need a 1″ diameter for my application since I’m using a 8 HP Tecumseh engine. Some places anticipate stocking knock-off TAV2 units in the coming months, but I doubt the quality or the likelihood of delivery. I looked at some other options, like CVT units from 250cc scooters, but once more faced the 1″ diameter issue.
I found CVTech-IBC, in Canada, and it looks like they are the best bet. They offer many diameters, including the 1″. They also have twice the gear ration range of the TAV2, but they cost twice as much as well.
Has anyone had much success with only a centrifugal clutch? The official CycleKarts.com specs use a torque converter, so I’m hesitant to try it without one.
I purchased my cycle kart engine from an online vendor that said it sat on a shelf for several years. It had never been started, but I was still a little nervous that it would fire up. It started on the fifth pull and ran well, although I did adjust it to idle a little faster.
As my frame is no where near completion, I mounted it on 28″ long 2X4 boards for testing. I let it run for a while to get warm before giving it full throttle. I weigh 210 lbs and was standing on the boards and couldn’t keep the engine still when I gave it full power. I’m very excited to get moving with my build, but still need to find somewhere that still has a TAV2 for sale.
I just purchased a differential rear axle that I hope to modify for my cycle kart. I say “hope” because the axle is actually from a zero-turn-radius walk behind commercial lawn mower. It is too short and I am concerned that it won’t be able to withstand the speed and abuse, but if it works it will work well. I also anticipate creating an attachment to lock the differential if I ever find myself using the cycle kart in looser dirt where a live axle would perform better.
Don, a commenter on CycleKarting.com and recent picture contributor, sent me more pictures of his progress and even mentioned he will be ready for a test drive soon!
Since I have not been posting any real progress, I thought it might be refreshing to see a Cycle Kart project that is actually getting somewhere. Don, a commenter on CycleKarting.com sent me several images of his progress, with more pictures on the way. He has really done a great job with execution and I will look forward to seeing how his Cycle Kart evolves.
Be sure to click the images for larger versions.
Well, it has been far to long since I have updated the site with my Cycle Kart build process. I wish I could report that I have finished the project and have been enjoying Cycle Karting during these winter months, however I have not. The best news to report is that my four tires, each with weather cracked sides, have held air all these months. I have also finished cutting another side out of plywood, but that is hardly worth reporting.
My lame excuse has been that fact I am building an office/guestroom in the basement that has consumed any free time.
I didn’t finish cutting my side pieces, but was pleased to be able to take pictures of one side at least. I am using 3/4″ plywood for most components and then cutting sections out for better weight savings. I expect to reinforce the frame in several places as well. If the frame looks small, it actually is. I am 6’5″ and will have to squeeze to fit, however in keeping with idea of “cute” dimensions, decided it is easier to make the cycle kart larger than trying to make an over sized cycle kart smaller later.
I will try to cut the left side of the cart soon to snap some pictures of the pieces together to show how this cycle karting project is progressing.
Despite the excuses, I finally found the time to start working on the plywood body for my cycle kart. I found myself continually sitting next to the sheet of plywood as I drew and redrew my lines to make sure I fit and still maintained the proportions. I know various cycle karting enthusiasts have used a range of materials, but I chose 3/4 inch plywood for added strength, and will actually cut large sections out for decreased weight. I plan to use several cross sections as reinforcement. I’m still cutting and hope to post pictures soon (when I finish cutting).